Blanchard Chapel

Edward R. Murrow

Edward R. Murrow, christened Egbert Roscoe Murrow in 1908, lived in Blanchard and attended Blanchard Chapel during his childhood.

Roscoe and Ethel Murrow had three sons, Lacey, Dewey, and Egbert. The Murrow family, cousins to the Coble family, moved to the Blanchard family farm in 1913 from North Carolina.

Young Egbert was nick-named "Blow" (short for Blowhard), as he was always quite a talker.  He was a very good student and president of the debate team at Edison High School.  He played basketball for the Edison Sparkplugs. Edward and his brothers loved hunting and fishing, and were all hard-working boys. While working in a logging camp as a young man, Egbert was encouraged to change his name to Edward.

Edward went to Washington State College, and today there is the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication at Washington State University in Pullman. After college, he moved to New York, and began a career as a journalist. And, as they say, the rest is history.